Last week was International Suicide Prevention Week. Following the success of the interviews we hosted last year, Radio Saltire was keen to take up the invitation from Brian Glass of CHANGES CHP in Musselburgh to try and raise awareness of this often difficult subject.
You can now listen to all 4 discussions using the widget below. Please note that discussions 2 and 4 are in two parts.
Discussion 1 (Tuesday) – Brian talks about the latest stats and introduces the discussions taking place later in the week.
Discussion 2 (Wednesday) – Brian is joined by Gary Smith from CHANGES and Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trainer to discuss how suicide can affect adults and how we can intervene when we are worried.
Discussion 3 (Thursday) – Brian is joined by Charmian Currie from the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Team (NHS Lothian). Charmian is also an ASIST trainer that specialises in working with children and adolescents.
Discussion 4 (Friday) – Brian is joined by Debbie someone who has first hand experience of suicidal thoughts, feelings and attempts, she chats about her experiences and her thinking. She discusses how she got help and why she knew that talking about her feelings would help.
- Breathing Space – http://www.breathingspacescotland.co.uk
- The Samaritans – http://www.samaritans.org/
- NHS 24 – http://www.nhs24.com/
- Choose Life – http://www.chooselife.net/
- CHANGES – http://changeschp.org.uk/
- East Lothian Council – http://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/
- Childline – http://www.childline.org.uk
If you are worried about someone or you are thinking about suicide, you can use the details below to talk to someone that can help.
- Speak to their/your General Practitioner
- NHS 24 (if out of hours) – 0845 24 24 24
- Call The Samaritans – 08457 90 90 90
- Call Breathing Space – 0800 83 85 87
*Unfortunately Mixcloud’s Widgets do not function properly on mobile devices. Please download the app for your device and then search for “RSaltire”