Mar 292012
 

Benefit Production

The Vagina Monologues is a celebration of female sexuality in all its complexity and mystery. In this stunning theatre phenomenon that has swept the world, Eve Ensler gives us real women’s stories of intimacy, vulnerability, and sexual self-discovery. Not just for women, men all over the world have been awestruck by the monologues and the women who perform them.

Celebrated as the bible for a new generation of women, The Vagina Monologues has been performed in cities all across the world. It has inspired a dynamic grassroots movement–V-Day–to stop violence against women. Witty and irreverent, compassionate and wise, Eve Ensler’s Obie Award-winning masterpiece gives voice to women’s deepest fantasies and fears, guaranteeing that no one who sees it will ever look at a woman’s body, or think of sex, in quite the same way again.

The Vagina Monologues is based on interviews with over 200 women about their memories and experiences of sexuality. Ensler wrote; “At first women were reluctant to talk. They were a little shy. But once they got going, you couldn’t stop them.”

The Vagina Monologues is spellbinding, funny, and almost unbearably moving. It is both a work of art and an incisive piece of cultural history, a poem and a polemic, a performance and a balm and a benediction. – Variety Magazine

The cast is made up from 12 women from the East Lothian community. Most of them with no previous acting experience. All of them putting their hearts and souls into the production. They are your next door neighbour, your work-mate, flat-mate, wife, friend or relative. Regular women doing an extraordinary thing. Pushing their limits to support the fight to end violence against women and girls. They will benefit from the community’s support, East Lothian women’s Aid will benefit from the community’s support and women all over the world will benefit from the community’s support.

CAST

Alison Bisset Slight
Lynn Catherine Coull
Lesley Cullen
Carole Foy
Cindy Galbraith
Lesley Innes
Amanda Lindsay
Jacqui Mason
Zoe Mcmaster
Kate Menzies
Hazel Richardson
Antoinette Sinclair

Director and Producer: Lynsey Cullen
Producer: Jeremy Roebuck
Lighting: Gayle Middleton and Sabrina Wright
Sound: Mike Cullen
Lights supplied by: Adrian Girling
Fundraising team: Beth McHoull and Jenny Mclean

AND live music throughout the night from Moira Mckay and Nic Tate and the Sharks!

Big thanks to The Haddington Music Initiative

90% of the proceeds from this event will go to East Lothian Women’s Aid. The other 10% will go to the V-Day 2012 Spotlight Global Charity that supports the women and children in Haiti.

East Lothian Women’s Aid

East Lothian Women’s Aid offers confidential information, support and a safe place to stay to women and children affected by domestic abuse. If you want to talk about what is happening, discuss any fears or anxieties, or need help to look at your options, you can speak to a worker by phone or meet up with them. You can tell them as much or as little as you like. Women’s Aid will not tell you what to do but will give you information and support so that you keep yourself and any children as safe as possible. You do not have to leave an abusive partner or live in a Women’s Aid refuge to get support from Women’s Aid. Women’s Aid has worked with abused women for over 30 years and knows that, for many women, these are not the only, or even the best, options.

V-Day

In 2012, V-Day’s Spotlight Campaign will again focus on the Women and Girls of Haiti. The Spotlight will highlight the high levels of violence against women and girls in Haiti, and will focus on the increased rates of sexual violence since the devastating earthquake that took place in January 2010. All funds raised through the Spotlight Campaign will be used to support a revolutionary national program in Haiti lead by a coalition of women activists – including longtime V-Day activist Elvire Eugene – that is addressing sexual violence through art, advocacy, safe shelter, and legal services.

V-Day is a global activist movement to end violence against women and girls. V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money, and revitalise the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations. V-Day generates broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation (FGM), and sex slavery. Further infomation about V-Day can be found at www.vday.org.

The ‘V’ in V-Day stands for Victory, Valentine and Vagina.

V-Day: Until the Violence Stops!

Don’t miss this performance at:

The Railway Hotel
Haddington

13th and 14th April 8pm

Tickets £10.00 and proceeds going to East Lothian Women’s Aid!